Friday, December 9, 2011

Life

I will make every effort to continue blogging about our adventures as a family of 5, but I'm finding that 5 is a busy number. Actually, 4 is a busy number. Oh my.

Life has been good since we've returned home from our big adventure. Multiple activities every evening, jet lag, and sickness have been somewhat stressful, but we survive. David seems to be transitioning well. Except when the dog is around. David is terrified of Samson, but as each day passes, David is getting a little braver. Yesterday while Samson slept, David touched Samson with the water bottle he was holding. He was so proud of himself.

Yesterday David also had his first dentist appointment. Well, it wasn't actually his appointment, but what Kate and Isaac do, David must do. So he got his teeth checked just like the big kids and he came home with a bag of goodies just like the big kids, and he was SO proud! As soon as Sean came home from work, David rushed to show off his bag, almost tripping over Samson in the process.

The other kids seem to be transitioning well too. One might guess it is easier for Kate since she has gone through an older child adoption before, but she still has struggles. Plus, she is older this time and has her own struggles outside of the home. It is interesting for me to realize this as she grows up. Isaac is doing much better as a big brother. He is no longer completely exasperated with David all the time. Yesterday we were trying to organize things in their room and David was all over the place, quickly. Isaac just looked up at me and shrugged. He has come so far. It helps that David adores Isaac. He loves Katie (his name for her) too, but Isaacah (David's name for Isaac) is the big brother.

It has been difficult for me to come back in December. I didn't do any decorating before we left. I should have. I wrongly thought we would have more time when we returned and I wasn't feeling the Christmas spirit in the first week of November. Now I feel behind. All the trees in our neighborhood have a uniform light decoration, but not ours. I don't like not looking festive outside. Inside we have a lovely poinsettia that the Stigalls had waiting for us when we returned. They also put up a little Christmas tree, but that is it as far as decorations go. Can you say Bah humbug? But we've been to Christmas parties and recorder concerts and karate practices and gymnastics practices. And I've been running interference between the dog and child. Hopefully, we'll look like Christmas by the end of the weekend. Sigh.

It has been wonderful talking to so many who have enjoyed our blog. When we traveled both for Isaac's adoption and David's adoption, the blog is an outlet for me. An opportunity for me to share with others when there aren't many around who speak the language or know me enough to want to hear our stories. Sean always knows what is going on, so I really can't tell him. So the blog is almost like therapy for me. Plus that way you know if we are still alive. Just sayin.

We are still looking for the girl child. Kate and I have been doing our research but so far, nothing really jumps out at us as the answer. We felt sure about China and Rwanda. I don't feel that about anyplace right now. So we are praying for discernment as we would really like to get the process started quickly. There is an empty bed upstairs. There is an empty chair at the table. We need the girl. In the meantime we'll just keep chasing the boy. He is busy.

3 comments:

  1. the empty beds kinda haunt, don't they?

    glad things are going well. i've been thinking about you all so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a good weekend and got the Christmas deco out. Don't forget you chased Krista for 10 miles too. David is helping you w your speed workouts. You'll be faster than Krista before you know it. She'll start coming to your house to chase David for training. Still praying for discernment for u guys n gals....
    Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite impressed you guys are functioning. I think I would want to sleep for about 2 days after your last couple of months!

    ReplyDelete