Because most of you are just beginning your day and so much has already happened in ours, I thought I'd make today be a two part entry. Today did not start well. I've been feeling really isolated. Its difficult to communicate with anyone here. I'm not used to having a lot of down time and I don't quite know what to do with myself. So it is frustrating because I just want to get this adoption thing moving. I want my kids. Now. So I had a bit of a come apart. Sean was very supportive. Today was a good morning for him. We take turns. We're good like that.
So while I was recovering from my meltdown and the kids were out playing, we received a call from our attorney asking us to come sign the acte d'adoption. This is the first step in David's adoption. Yay! While we were at sector signing the document, the sisters asked if we would like to meet David today. Um, YES! So at 3 pm, 7 am central time, we get to meet our new son!! His papers say he is quiet and shy. So he'll fit right in to our family. Maybe he'll positively influence the rest of us. We can't all be loud and crazy can we? Excitement abounds in the West family and suddenly I love Rwanda again.
I must discuss the driving situation here in Rwanda. It is very entertaining to say the least. Rwanda is the size of Maryland with 11 million people. So you can imagine how many people are in and around Kigali. There are people everywhere. The driving style reminds me greatly of China. There are lines on the road but they really seem to be pretty arbitrary, a guide not a hard fast rule. In China the cars weaved in and out around bike riders. Here drivers of cars and trucks must navigate around motorbikes. Instead of cars, the taxis are motorcycles and they are very popular. The taxis follow rules of the road, but they can slip in between cars, and they do. In addition to the taxis, drivers of vehicles must also watch along the side of the road for pedestrians. There are people walking along the street everywhere. So driving is tricky to say the least. Add to that the roads. Remember Rwanda is the land of a thousand hills? The roads maze around up and down the hills. I can't imagine finding my way around here. Driving really is a thing of beauty and grace here. It is almost like a dance. There is a give and take. It really is amazing to watch.
So we're off to meet David. Please pray that we won't overwhelm him. Pray that his heart would be open to our love, we have lots to give. I won't be able to post pictures of him until we pass court, most likely next week, but I will let you know how things go.
Oh, feel free to comment, we love to hear from you!!
Awfully cool thinking that at this moment you are with your new son! Praises all around!
ReplyDeletegarth
The first place I look when I get on the computer in the morning is to see if there are any new posts. I love the commentary on all parts of your adventure. Keeping you all in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteMarge
I thrilled to hear that you get to meet David. I can imagine what the driving must be like, I remember India very well, lots of honking and moving in and out of traffic.
ReplyDeleteHow old is he? Praying for you! Christina
Amy, thanks so much for the update. Thinking about you and your family, and praying for you every day!!!
ReplyDeletemegan
Like! Loving the updates, keep 'em coming and helps to know how to pray - for all of you! Jan
ReplyDelete