Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 17

Good grief, doesn't that sound like a long trip? 17 days! That is nuts. Who takes trips that long? Insane people, that's who. Let me assure you we are feeling every minute of the 17 days. Today when we arrived at the embassy they recognized us as having been there the day before. I couldn't believe it had only been one day. It seemed like several days had gone between our visits. I didn't realize how much it meant to me to know someone in Rwanda. I really miss knowing there is someone here who knows us. Now we're just the white people who keep showing up at the embassy.

Today did go well though. Breakfast was not fabulous. We were glad to find out David's chair had dried out a bit from last night. Then Isaac developed some intestinal distress. I'm not sure if it is a traveler's thing or stress from traveling and adopting a new brother. Regardless, I gave him some meds and he felt much better by lunch. We did carry a bag with us to the embassy in the morning. Always fun times when you get to travel with a ziploc just in case. David was also out of sorts this morning. I'm still not sure what is up with him. We are concerned that he might be carrying a friend from the orphanage or maybe his body isn't adjusting to different food very well. He continues to eat like crazy and doesn't complain about his tummy which makes me think it might be an unwelcome passenger.

When you adopt an older, non-english speaking child, you become a psychologist, identifying your new child's every thought. Perhaps he is tired, or hungry, or grieving, or has to go to the bathroom, or ? This morning it took us 10 - 15 minutes to figure out he wanted his hat. He couldn't find his hat. We went through everything. If only someone had taped all 4 of us trying to figure out what he wanted. Hilarious. Not so much this morning, but now that it is over, yes, funny. This is an on-going, common occurrence. We are constantly evaluating. Sometimes we get it, sometimes we redirect and distract.

So about our day, we visited the embassy. Twice. They suggested we leave and go to lunch shortly after we arrived. ??? Whatever. We took the three more-than-happy-to-leave kids out of the embassy and out to lunch. Turns out the crabby one was hungry. Who knew? Then we went back and finished our appointment at the embassy. They will begin processing his visa pending the medical approval. If everything goes well we should have his visa on Friday morning. Wouldn't hurt to throw up a prayer or two about that if you don't mind.

After a stop on the way back to the guesthouse to get water, we decided to go swimming. Its 75 degrees here, why not? When we took Isaac to his first swimming pool in China, he was less than thrilled. He cried and cried. But his crying wasn't as loud, more of a wimper compared to David. I'm not sure David has ever been in a bathtub. As we walked into the pool area his eyes got big at the large amount of water in the pool. And it just so happened that there was a woman in the corner choking. Perfect. He saw the water and the choking woman and he let us and everyone in a one mile radius know that he was NOT going in that water! I felt bad for the kid. He was obviously very afraid of the water. So I assured him he would not go in the water. Then he saw Kate and Isaac preparing to go in the water and doubled his screeching. Again, I assured him that he would not get in the water and finally he calmed down. If he wasn't so scared it might have been comical, but he was terrified and it really wasn't funny.

We came back to the guesthouse and ordered dinner in the room so they boys could play. Finally, my two boys really connected, physically, as little boys do. They were so funny! Lots of laughter was heard in our room this evening. Despite the fact that Isaac's name was the first one David learned, I think he has felt a little left out with David around. Little by little we're getting things figured out.

Tomorrow morning we'll be up early to visit the Nairobi National Park. We are supposed to be able to see lots of animals there. Then in the afternoon we have the medical appointment. Should be a good day!


Aren't they cute? I just adore these three people!


David fell asleep in the car on the way back from the embassy.


Doesn't this look comfortable?


Wrestling boys.

4 comments:

  1. Angie Kite here -
    First, let me say that I haven't had a chance to take a look at this until today. When Sean sent me the email last week about Filebound I kept thinking I needed to get around to checking out what was going on with your family but it's been a bit hectic. Now I'm kicking myself for not keeping up with this adventure!!! Y'all are on the adventure of a lifetime!!! I know I wouldn't have been able to hold it together until day 14 (or whichever one it was when you cried), at a mall nonetheless.....You know in my world that a mall is a happy place. I digress. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are strong, inspiring, entertaining and most of all Blessed. I agree with the woman at the airport….your colors are beautiful, each and every one….
    Do not follow where the path may lead.
    Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    --- Ralph Waldo Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you may have only been gone 17 days, but Miss Kate has grown up while she's been away. She's impressed the socks off me.
    Still praying,
    Marge

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ALL impress the socks off me! I admire each of you as you experience this through your own different perspectives: your courage, your commitment, your psychology skills and your togetherness bond! Amazing! And yes, Blessed, your family is blessed, and all of us are blessed to be a part of this incredible family "gathering!" Love you all! Aunt Sarah+

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great time at the Park!!! I'm sure the zoos here will never seem the same again! Miss you guys!!!! Love, Sheree

    ReplyDelete