Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 6

Today we had some fun experiences. This morning we visited the Mother’s Union here in Musanze. They have a shop where they raise funds to support their organization. The Mother’s Union supports women both in the church as well as in the community, educating women through regular bible studies and health and hygiene promotion. So to support them, we did a lot of Christmas shopping at their shop.

While we were there shopping, the kids from the neighboring Compassion International project came to see what we were doing. A couple of them were practicing their English with us. They were so cute! I wish I had pictures to share but when I went to turn on my camera it wouldn’t work. I was so frustrated! Turns out you need a battery. Sean had taken it out last night to charge and neither of us put it back in. I do so wish you could see these cute faces.

Later in the day we had the opportunity to attend a traditional Rwandan engagement party. Remember the Sesame Street song about one of these things is not like the other? We kind of stuck out. So much so that we were actually included in the ceremony a bit. Before I explain that, I should set the scenario.

When we arrived at the home it was pouring rain. The party was an outdoor party. We were lead inside a home where we watched various people rushing back and fourth. One other lady came and sat near us, but it sort of seemed like we were the only guests. At this point we were thinking it was an actual wedding. We knew there were two tents set up with a grassy area in between for dancing. Finally, someone came and guided us through one tent full of people seated in chairs facing the grassy area in the middle, past the grassy area where men were taking videos of someone talking in the tent we had just walked through, and into chairs set up in the front row of the other tent full of people seated facing the grassy area. We were late to the party and as a result we got to walk through the ceremony in front of everyone and sit down. Sean, Kate and Isaac managed to find seats on the second row, but I got to be right on the front row, facing the grassy area and the other tent that held a bunch of people looking in our direction.

Apart from the whole uncomfortableness of the situation (which we are starting to get used to), the ceremony was quite entertaining. The tents are the families of the bride and groom. The ceremony begins by the grooms family asking the brides family for the bride’s hand in marriage. Then the bride’s family says they have already given her away, the groom’s family will have to take someone else. This is a cliff-note version of the conversation. The actual conversation was really quite long and included offering up the two white women as brides. Always fun to have an entire group of people laughing and looking directly at you when you have no idea why. But I’ve had that happen to me several times in the past, so I handled it with dignity and grace.

Then there is a conversation about the dowery which includes both sides singing about cows. Which sounds trivial, but really was very entertaining. They even pretended to go out and hunt the cows. Apparently, sometimes they actually bring cows to the event. I was a little disappointed that money was the only gift today. Finally, a traditional Rwandan singing/dancing group came to bring the bride in. Oh wait, first the groom had to be identified. This is part of the gimic, there are several men dressed the same way and the bride’s family is supposed to identify the groom. This entire presentation took several hours. Lots of back and forth between the families. I can only imagine how entertaining it would have been if I would have understood all the jokes.

The party finished with a meal of traditional Rwandan food, very yummy! Then we left. But not before we got to be video taped while eating. Evidently the white people are fun to photograph and video. I need to mention what a great job our kids did. It isn’t easy being stared at and photographed everywhere you go. Kate had to go to the restroom in the middle of the ceremony because we were all given bottles of soda upon arrival. So add to the mental picture of the two tents full of people, all of them sipping really long straws stuck in glass bottles of Fanta. Back to Kate, so a very nice gentleman lead her by the hand through the grassy area, think center stage. She didn’t get upset holding his hand or following him through the ceremony, she did great. I’m really proud of how both kids have handled this entire trip. One more for the mental picture, after dinner everyone uses toothpicks here. It is totally acceptable to pick at your teeth with a toothpick. And they ALL use one. So now picture the two tents with people picking their teeth with straws. You see why this event was so entertaining?

On the way home we were able to see where New Hope Homes will build the new houses. It was rainy and a bit dark, but we were able to see it is a considerable amount of land. They will put shops along the street to bring in income and have farm area in the back so they can be self sustaining. We’re very excited for them.

Tomorrow we will go to church. We decided to go to the traditional Rwandan service versus the English service. The English service started at 7:30. It really wasn’t a hard decision. Please continue to pray for our girl child. Things continue to look bleak, but we will renew the fight on Monday.


Visitors at the party


Traditional wedding/engagement gifts

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I loved the post that said that reading your daily journal is a riveting as any NYTimes best seller or something like that! We are all reading it these days, and most anxious for tomorrow's post. I just know something positive will happen and you will be closer to finding your new daughter. It is so exciting to think that while normal life goes on in KS, fabulous things are happening with your family in a far away... in another world! Lots of love and encouragement is coming your way! Love you! Aunt Sarah and fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Sarah said... : )
    Marge

    ReplyDelete